Transformer Testing at ECS
For confirming the specifications and performances of an electrical power transformer it has to go through a number of testing procedures. Some tests are done at a transformer manufacturer premises before delivering the transformer.Transformer manufacturers perform two main types of transformer testing – type test of transformer and routine test of transformer.
There are also tests done at the site:
- Pre-commissioning tests
- Periodic/condition monitoring tests
- Emergency tests
TYPES TEST OF TRANSFORMER
To prove that the transformer meets the customer’s specifications and design expectations, the transformer has to go through different testing procedures in ESC premises. Some transformer tests are carried out for confirming the basic design expectation of that transformer. These tests are done mainly in a prototype unit not in all manufactured units in a lot. Type test of the transformer confirms the main and basic design criteria of a production lot.
At ECS, we focus on the routine tests of transformer which include
- Winding resistance test of transformer
- Transformer ratio test
- Transformer vector group test
- Measurement of impedance voltage/short circuit impedance (principal tap) and load loss (Short circuit test)
- Measurement of no-load loss and current (Open circuit test)
- Measurement of insulation resistance
- Dielectric tests of the transformer.
- Tests on on-load tap-changer.
- Oil pressure test on the transformer to check against leakages past joints and gaskets
Special Tests of transformer include
- Dielectric tests.
- Measurement of the zero-sequence impedance of three-phase transformers
- Short-circuit test
- Measurement of acoustic noise level
- Measurement of the harmonics of the no-load current.
- Measurement of the power taken by the fans and oil pumps.
- Tests on bought-out components/accessories such as Buchholz relay, temperature indicators, pressure relief devices, oil preservation system, etc.
That means Routine tests of the transformer include all the type tests except temperature rise and vacuum tests. The oil pressure test on the transformer to check against leakages past joints and gaskets are included.